Saturday, January 10, 2009

Our trip to the ER . . .again.

Daddy, Joseph and Addy in the ER. (This is a new, re-modeled ER since the last time we were here. It was a million times better this time!)

Momma and Joseph

A wonderful nurse set us up with a DVD player and a disc of Sesame Street. It was a lifesaver with our sweet (2-year-old) Addy.


Last Saturday, (January 3, 2009) Joseph woke up at about 11:30pm and had a burning fever of about 101.5. I gave him Tylenol, a bottle, and rocked him until he fell asleep. (Which took about 2 or 3 hours.) When he woke up again at about 6AM on Sunday morning, his fever was worse; 102.2 this time. Deland and I made arrangements for people to take over for our callings at church, packed a “busy bag” for Addy, got the kids dressed, and headed off to the ER. Turns out that cough that Joseph has had for over 8-weeks (the one I took him to see the Doctor for twice, and both times they said it was nothing) has turned into bronchitis. Poor little guy. They also noticed that Joseph’s white blood cell count was REALLY high. But they couldn’t figure out why. We still don’t know why it was so high. But after a few hours Joseph’s fever went down, so they gave us meds for his bronchitis and sent us home. We had a follow-up appointment yesterday at our Pediatricians office. They told us that next week, when we have used all of Joseph’s medicine that we need to come in and they will do more tests checking his white blood cells.

The Doctor seems like she was not worried, but this is the second time that something has been wrong with my 4-months old baby, and no one could figure out what it is. Maybe I am being an overprotective Mother, but that seems strange to me. I hope it is nothing. I hope I am overreacting. Until we find out I am just going to keep praying for our little Joseph. He is so happy and good natured all the time. Even when he is sick. I just don’t want to be missing something serious.

So, I knew that when I had a son I would most likely have more trips to the ER than I would with a daughter. When Addy was about 6 months old we had to take her to the ER…but that was a precautionary measure. (She wasn’t keeping her food down and the Doctor at Nightlight Pediatrics wanted to do some tests just to see what was happening. But all she ended up having acid reflux.) Besides that, Addy has been pretty healthy. Joseph on the other hand was in the ER about a week after he was born with a fever of over 102! I didn’t expect to be at the ER this much until Joseph could as least WALK or CLIMB A TREE! Is this a taste of things to come? I sure as heck hope NOT!!!!!



P.S.
If your kid is going to be in the hospital, make sure you know someone who works there...in the medical field especially. Our good friend Cathy McGinnis works in the Lab at Florida Hospital - Orlando. (Where we took Joseph.) It is really helpful to know someone who has the 'inside track.' Thanks for all your help Cathy! We love you!!!!!!



2 comments:

Todd, JoAnn, Kira, and Cali said...

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that you are NOT being an overprotective mother by being precautionary or trusting your mothers intuition!! God made us this way for a reason! KEEP trusting your instincts!! 99% of the time you are right and it is ALWAYS better safe than sorry!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Oh man, poor Joseph. I hope he gets better very soon!
Hang in there mama!!