
You know how people say, "__ is my hero!" I've never felt that way about anyone before I was married. Jesus Christ is a "hero"of sorts, but he's really so much more than that. He's my Savior. My Redeemer. So I don't know if I'd put him in a "hero" category. Christ is more than a hero.
But this man, Deland. He's my hero. My real-life superhero. Not because he's got all the answers or does everything perfectly, but because he's always doing his best to be a better person. He is comfortable making mistakes because that means he's learning. Which gives me the freedom to make mistakes and learn from them as well. Our Stake President introduced Deland to someone last year and said Deland is one of the most teachable people he's known. I totally agree!
One of my sisters said yesterday, "I like the way you've trained Deland. He's really expressive with you. I wish my husband was like that!" To which I responded, "Actually I feel Deland has trained ME! He has created an environment in our marriage where I feel comfortable sharing my feelings. Growing up in my house, sharing our feelings or point of view often got us in trouble. So I shut down my own thoughts and feelings. It was emotionally dangerous. But Deland encourages me to express my feelings." He has helped me develop ownership of my thoughts and feelings. I'm forever thankful.
One of the things I liked about Deland when we first met was that he'd read one of the Mars and Venus books about relationships. I had done the same, so we had a lot to talk about. Deland had also already read the book, How to Win Friends and Influence People. Reading those books demonstrated how open (and even egger) Deland was to stretch and become a better person. He realized he didn't have all the answers and decided to learn from people who are experts in his "weaknesses." Its one of my husbands most attractive traits. Seriously.
I'm thankful to be married to Deland. I'm thankful to be his partner. In business and family. We aren't perfect people and therefore don't have a perfect marriage. But we are open to listening to and learning from each other. We have the same priorities in life and in eternity. Deland is a huge part of why we are so happy. He's paved the way for a healthy family-life. With our "powers" combined, we can do anything together!
I love you Deland!
posted from Bloggeroid
1 comment:
Love this!
Have you gotten an invite yet to read our blog?!
If you're interested...give me your email and I'll send you an invite!
Post a Comment