Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Eclipse...2 - Finished


I just finished Eclipse. I have read this book a little slower than the first two because I have had to pay more attention to my family and our home. I really let it go last week. Yikes!

I liked the book. I thought my sister Elisabeth described the book well. "I liked how both Edward and Bella finally both understood that they had to be together and there was no more disputing that. Edward seams a lot happier to me in Eclipse and shows off a lot of his gentleman side. I also like the banter between him and Jacob..."

I have been thinking about what I like about the Twilight series. What is it that draws so many of us in? The fans of Twilight range in age from teenagers to full grown adults - women mostly. How can that be? For now I think I have settled upon the fact that we can all identify with the characters. Stephanie Meyer perfectly captures the emotions a real person feels in these situations. In New Moon I really identified with Bella when Edward left. A breakup has devastated me like that before. I remember moving through the motions of my life without really living. Sadness crept into every aspect of my life for a long time. Actually, that happened to me a few times. Wow. That was a terrible time to be me! (Whew! Glad that part of my life is over.)

On the flip side, I remember breaking someones heart like Bella broke Jacob's in Eclipse. Like Bella, I had made myself clear that the relationship had no future, but I continued to act the part and lead the guy (name withheld to protect the innocent) on. I didn't mean to hurt him, but I did. It felt awful. It also ripped my heart out because along the way I grew to care for him too much as well. It took me four years to recover from that. It seems like Stephanie Meyer must have had a few heartbreaks herself. Otherwise, how could she write about it so well?

I am excited to start Breaking Dawn, but sad at the same time. It feels like the beginning of the end. This will sound lame to anyone who has not read and loved the series, but I feel like I am coming to the end of a friendship. It was the same way when I read the Anne of Greene Gables series. For weeks afterward I missed reading about my 'friends.' I have read the books a few times just because I wanted to visit with Anne, Gilbert, and their family. I missed their company. I think the same will be true of the Twilight series.

Ok, so on with the show. I will start Breaking Dawn now. I hope I like it as much as I have the other three books in the series! The lady who rang me up when I bought the book at Target said the last book is by far the best out of the series. I am curious why she said that. Well, there is only one way to find out!

No comments: