Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Halloween Costume Ideas!


So, when I was growing up my mom believed (and still does) that Halloween is the Devil's holiday. We didn't dress up, go trick-or-treating, etc. (We went camping for the week of Halloween, and enjoyed a bonfire, hay ride and Piñata on the night of. It was actually pretty fun.) Anyway, the first time I dressed up for anything was when I was about 11 and I went to my friends Birthday/Costume Party. I dressed up a few time after that for various other events, but I've always felt like I always missed out on the whole Halloween thing.

So far my kids have been too young to really do anything for Halloween. Besides our annual church Halloween party, we haven't done anything. This year, is a little different. Addy is old enough to catch on to 'dressing up." So I am spending a little more time on making a cute costume for the kids. Today I bought some of the things we will need to make their outfits. I'm making it up as I go along.

Really, we based Addy's costume on what we want Joseph to be; a leprechaun. (Just think of how darling that will be!) However, I'm not skilled in the ways of sewing. Therefor I'm trying to figure out how to create the look of a leprechaun. So far I have determined I will take a regular shirt and do an applique bow tie. I bought some green pants today that I may use, but I'm not sure. I can roll up the pant legs and have him wear tights underneath. We'll see. I need a vest or a jacket to go with it all as well as a hat. Do YOU have any suggestions?????



So Addy is going to be a "rainbow." We are taking great creative license on her costume...as you can see. I am going to apply an applique rainbow to her shirt, and she'll be wearing multicolored striped tights...as well as a tutu like the one below. Though she will not look exactly like a rainbow, I am excited to see the end result. I think she will be so cute!


Now, I just gotta do the work on their Halloween costumes. I'm so excited! If ANY of you have ideas for the kids costumes then I am ALL ears. Thanks for your help and wish me luck!

2 comments:

Carley, John, Cohen, kennedy said...

Super cute! I love the rainbow idea.. She will look like a rainbow ballerina princess!

Ty and Trista Swartzlander said...

Sweeeeet! I found you. Love your blog. What fun costumes. Too bad I am lazy and digging old costumes out of the closet for my kids to wear. :)