Saturday, September 13, 2014

Mortality isn't for sissies





This week Deland had a sinus infection, Joseph had tonsillitis, Georgia had mysterious red bumps all over her body (along with cutting teeth) and Oliver had a fever off and on. I wasn't feeling well either, but I couldn't tell what was wrong with me, so I just kept pushing on. Oh, and Deland worked for 23 hours on Wednesday, came home and slept for 4 hours then worked an 11 hour day on Thursday. So, you might say this week has been...interesting.

I'm thankful my sweet friend Melanie brought dinner on Wednesday night. With Deland being gone, it was especially helpful. (She is so sweet and thoughtful!)

Yesterday, my head hurt so bad I could hardly see straight, I was dizzy and it felt like something was sitting on my chest. It was difficult to breathe. My regular doctor closed early on Friday so I loaded up the three youngest kids (Joseph was still sick and not at school) and went to the Walgreens Clinic. Turns out I have Sinusitis AAAAAAAAND Acute Bronchitis! It's no wonder I've been feeling terrible! Haha.

Last night after Deland attended a memorial for the husband of a woman from church who recently died, he picked up my medications and brought me soup, bread and a green smoothie from Panera. (It was perfect!) Then he played with our kids. I loved watching them play and spending time with Deland is our favorite! It did our hearts good.

Joseph said our family prayer last night. Among other things he said:

"We are thankful Daddy is so funny. And we are thankful he is ours."

"We pray mommy will get better, and we pray for all the moms and dads in the world who are sick that they will get better too."

He's got such a tender sweet heart! I'm so proud of him.

Addy has been so helpful this week. Even more than usual. She has really stepped up and done things that I often do like change diapers, get food and drinks for me and her siblings, reading bedtime stories to the family, and she even put Georgia to bed.

Oliver and Georgia Joseph and Addy have been really good snuggle buddies. Snuggling can heal (or ease) a heap of ills.

As I type this (while in bed), hear "These Hips Don't Lie" playing on Pandora in the living room, Deland made me breakfast in bed and he's making sure the kids are cleaning up messes around the house. Life is better than good. It's awesome. My cup runneth over!

Among all the chaos that has come this week, I'm so grateful for the Holy Ghost. I feel he has truly been a comforter for me. I haven't felt overwhelmed, sad or discouraged. I've been able to feel joy in the blessings that have come our way. I feel peace and gratitude.

I've been working for a long time to clean out emotional clutter (mostly from my childhood) so that I can experience and feel the joy and beauty of the life Deland and I have created (with Heavenly Fathers help, of course). I feel this week has shown me I'm getting closer to my goal. I also consider the comfort I feel a tender mercy. Life will always have ups and downs. It's the reason we come to earth. Morality isn't for sissies. But all along the way, there is beauty all around. I'm grateful to have experienced that beauty this week.





No comments: