Monday, December 6, 2010

The food of the gods!


In our family, there is one one true BAKING QUEEN. The title belongs to my Grandma Sullivan - my Dad's mother. {The cute lady in purple. *This is our wedding day.*} She was born, raised and has lived out her years in Northwest Florida. She is a true SOUTHERN BELL, and cooks like it.

My Grandparents live in Marianna, Florida - about 8 hours from my home town, Orlando. {6 hours if you're my Uncle Doug, but I digress.} I remember looking forward to visiting my Grandparents for one particular reason; POUND CAKE. If my Grandma is the Baking Queen, then this cake is her CROWN. Not.even.joking. Its delicious. I only ever had my Grandma's version of Pound Cake, but a few years ago I tried the store bought kind. It was NOTHING like Grandmas. It didn't even finish my piece. (((shudder)))

A few years ago my sister Michelle got the AMAZING Pound Cake recipe from my Grandma. Michelle {an amazing home-chef in her own right} attempted to make it for a family gathering. We all could not wait for a slice of that yummy goodness we all remember. Our mouths were watering with anticipation! We tasted it...and it was not quite the same. {A single tear trickles down my cheek.}

BUT SHE HAD FOLLOWED THE RECIPE! WHAT COULD HAVE GONE WRONG? WHAT CAN WE DO TO MAKE THIS CAKE RIGHT?!?!

Well, we gave up on the cake for a while. *shrug* Guess no one can do it the way Grandma does it. *sigh*

BUT WAIT! This week my sister Rebecca {and her family} went to visit my Grandma and Uncle Doug - who lives and takes care of Grandma now that Grandpa has passed. Uncle Doug has figured out how to make Pound Cake "like Grandma!" This got Michelle and I all excited to give it a go, and attempt the recipe again. {Ok, this is my first try...but you know what I mean.}

The verdict? SUCCESS! It is AWESOME!!!! Just the way we remember it! {Aparently, when Michelle made it before, the cake batter was mixed too much. She explains in the recipe.} This Pound Cake is a new staple dessert for MY LITTLE FAMILY. I can't wait to show this pretty little lady off to my friends. I hope all of you will try it too. I mean, keeping something like this to myself would be a DISSERVICE TO HUMANITY! And well we can't have that, can we? No, no. That would be wrong. So go out and MAKE THIS POUND CAKE! Do your family a favor! {Then come back and tell me what you think of this - soft on the inside and crispy on the outside - goodness.}

And I won't tell a single soul if you don't decide to share with your family and you eat this cake ALL BY YOURSELF! {Enjoy!}

No comments: